Year 2 / Blwyddyn 2
Croeso / Welcome
Blwyddyn 2 / Year 2
Welcome to Year 2/Dosbarth Celyn
Tel: 01554 773822
Mobile: 07929 783164
Your child’s teacher is:
Mrs Howells (TA)
Welcome back to the 2020 school year!
As your child moves up to year 2 and a ‘new normal’, there are a few changes that you should be aware of such as school times, homework as well as a few others!
School has staggered start times. FP arrival time is between 8.50am and 9.10am. Members of staff will at the top of the yellow brick road to receive your child. Please be punctual as the gate will be locked at 9.10am prompt. The school day for Year 2 ends at 2.55pm…again please be punctual to collect your child.
Unfortunately, due to current guidelines, After School Club is unavailable…further updates will be issued as soon as we receive guidance.
School dinner money should continue to be paid via Parent Pay.
Healthy Snacks and Water
Please ensure your child brings a healthy snack of fruit or vegetable daily. FP pupils are encouraged to eat a snack during the morning to help them maintain concentration. Your child will need to bring a water bottle to school every day with fresh water. This will also help concentration and keep them hydrated, which is very important.
Homework will be issued via J2E. Children will be given Maths, language or topic work as well as additional tasks set on the Homework tab on J2E. Tasks will be shared with pupils for them to save to their files. J2Stars or Dojos will be awarded for all homework completed. Sumdog will now be used in Year 2… Your login details will be sent home.
PE day for Year 2/Dosbarth Celyn will be a Wednesday. Until further notice, your child will need to come to school suitably dressed in their PE kit on this day… t/shirt, sweatshirt, joggers/shorts and trainers. Uniform does not need to be worn on Wednesday.
There will be a focus on the children accessing the outdoors as much as possible, therefore, please ensure your child comes into school with coats and suitable footwear everyday.
Oxford Owl is a fantastic resource to use for reading with your child. Your child will have a class login which he/she can access at home as well as school. A letter will be sent via schoop/website giving details of literacy, maths and science topics covered this term.
It is really important that you make us aware of any issues or worries that your child may have so that we can deal with them early on. Also, it is very important that you inform staff of any medical issues as soon as possible.
We will be sending letters and information home via SCHOOP. If you haven’t already downloaded SCHOOP, please download from Google play or apple app store. The school code is 7749.
Year 2 will be using a class Twitter account to share information. Further details to follow.
If you do have any concerns at all, please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff – we are more than happy to put your mind at ease.
Autumn Term 2020
This term we will be learning about…
• Place value – counting on and back, order and identify numbers.
• Read and write numbers to 100 at least and use mental recall of number facts.
• Place value - more or less and partitioning numbers.
• Addition and subtraction.
• Multiplication and division (grouping and sharing).
• Money – recognising coins and paying for items.
• Number sequences.
• Compare and order 2 digit numbers.
• Shape 2D.
• Capacity - measuring using litres.
• Measure – measuring children’s height weekly.
This term we will be learning…
• Read Write Inc sounds and words to develop spelling strategies.
• How to write a recount using sentence openers, connectives, adjectives, similes and prepositions
• Autumn writing
• How to write a list of questions for a visitor.
• How to write a list of similarities and differences.
• How to write instructions, using ordering words, ‘Bossy verbs’ and labeling diagrams.
• How to write letter with and address, date, greeting the reader a main body and an ending.
• Retell a Pie Corbett Story: The papaya that spoke
• Retell a Pie Corbett Poem:
This half term we will be learning ‘All about me’ and the history of Beti Bwt. We will be focusing on old and new toys, schools, clothes.
We will also learn about:
• Our feelings – how do we react to situations and control our feelings.
• Learning about different types of emotions and how they affect us.
• My family – who is important to me?
• Being unique – our differences and similarities.
• Healthy eating and exercise .
• Hygiene and hand washing.
• Medicine safety.
• First aid.
- Homework will be given out on a Friday and it is to be completed by Wednesday please.
- Reading books every day.
- Spelling will be given out on a Monday and there will be a spelling test on the words on Friday.
- Don't forget coats in the cold weather.
- Dinner money must be paid via ParentPay
- P.E. is on Wednesday (Please try to bring in a PE kit).